Index» » » » » » » » » » » » » » » » » » Pizza with Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce Hot Italian Sausage Kalamata Olives Red Onion Roasted Peppers and Fresh Mozzerella

Pizza with Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce Hot Italian Sausage Kalamata Olives Red Onion Roasted Peppers and Fresh Mozzerella

Wednesday, May 14, 2014


I was unable to decide whether I wanted Pizza or Salmon last night for dinner when I arrived at the grocery store.  Since Monday, Wednesday and Friday are fresh fish delivery day at my local supermarket, I knew there was a good chance I would find the perfect salmon filet at the seafood counter, and, if so, thats what I would fix.  Sure enough, the perfectly portioned, ideal center cut salmon filet was displayed, as if waiting for me.  I certainly was quick to purchase it, but was unable to get pizza off my mind.  I made my way to the sausage section and glanced over the selection, searching for some bulk hot italian sausage.  I found just what I was looking for, so I purchased that too and decided to have pizza for dinner and to send the salmon to the freezer for another night this week.  

In my pantry I grabbed a can of fire roasted tomatoes for the sauce.  I started by sauteeing a minced garlic clove in olive oil and then added the can of tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato paste, a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt.  That cooked down for about 1/2 hour on a low simmer until the liquid evaporated and a thick sauce remained. 

Meanwhile, I browned the bulk hot italian sausage in a skillet, drained the grease and set it aside.  

I used the same pizza dough recipe that I have in the past (for the recipe please see the Veggie Pizza entry on January 31, 2010).  Rolled it out into about a 10-12 inch circle and topped it with the fire roasted tomato sauce.  Next, the crumbled hot italian sausage, thin strips of roasted red pepper, thinly sliced red onion, sliced Kalamata olives sliced of fresh mozzerella cheese and a sprinkling of hot pepper flakes and dried oregano.  I placed the pizza on a pizza stone in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  While still hot, top with freshly grated parmesan cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment